Day Seven of My500Words

My 500 Words - Day 7: Write a letter to your younger self



Well, today's challenge is a little different. It even describes itself as a 'rant'. Getting words and emotions down on to paper. The point is to write something to an incarnation of your previous self, something that you wish someone had told a younger version of you.  

Cheesus! I usually save that kind of stuff for incredibly bad song lyrics and poetry that will never see the light of day. So!...um.... gyah! This already feels as if it will be more difficult than fiction to write and to resist a severe editing. I can already feel my head trying to pre-edit it before I even start. I might need a strong cup of tea, nice smelling candles and some soft music, before I let my brain squirrels start de-cluttering this one from my head. It could get messy. Not sure if I want to share rants but here goes...

Letter to my Younger Self

Wow! Look at you! You have come so far. No one could know what it has taken for you to get here. What it took to make it this far. And yet here you are. Positive, strong, joyful. You are a fiercely courageous. You've been through fire. What is left to hurt you. A dragon. You have always jumped for what you wanted in life and built your wings on the way down. Decided what you wanted and worked until you got it. Keep doing that thing. You have determination, strength, resilience and a fire that will drive you to do things you had never imagined. You will doubt yourself. Everyone does. But try not to, with all your might. Your own doubts fool you. The confidence and lack of doubt in others is a lamp on a deep sea angler fish, luring you in to a dismal fate. You will find yourself attracted to people with shiny faces and dark hearts.

In your joy and ignorance you will open your heart to a charmer of dragons. Mirror-man. Faker. Charlatan. Wolf in sheep's clothing. In your arrogance, you will ignore the way he treated those before you. He will hold up a mirror and you will see everything that you want to see. In your optimism, you will hear all you want to hear. In your sensitivity, you will open your heart and feel everything you want to feel. Only for as long as you please and agree, hears what he says and sees what he portrays. You are so easily Beguiled. 

After you are broken, friends will tell you that you trust too easily. Open mouthed doesn't make someone openhearted. Funny does not make someone fair. Charm doesn't make someone kind. Someone speaking the word 'love' doesn't make it true. Actions will betray the words, but by then it will be too late. You will be lost. Use your head. Your heart is too kind. Protect it. Listen. I am telling you now. Beware the one who stabs you and tells the world they are the one who's bleeding.

I am so sorry that I couldn't be there for you. That I couldn't protect you. That I couldn't tear off his mask and show you there was nothing wholesome underneath. But you will pick yourself up and piece yourself back together again in no time. And soon enough you will be kicking through autumn leaves and singing to yourself in joy once more. You'll see.

Comments

Popular Posts