Day Three of My500Words

My500Words Challenge Day Three Marie Cooper Actor

My 500 Words - Day 3: Get Up Early

I almost laughed myself out of bed when I saw the task for day three. Me? Get up early?. You might as well to ask the sun to stop shining or expect a politician to tell the truth.

via: imgur
I am not a morning person. I never have been and most likely never shall be a morning person. I also don't think that there is anything heroic about those who claim to be early risers. As if getting up whilst it is still dark outside is some kind of Herculean feat of endurance that separates the doers from the do-nots. Well! Where are those "doers' when I am tippy tapping away at my keyboard at two am in the morning. Should I dare to make the assumption that those lazy doers are already snoring and have been doing so since tucking themselves in, at a bedtime that even a child would baulk at? 

Time

The reasoning behind today's task is that one of the biggest things writers complain about, that prevents them from writing, is time. The solution to this, the task proposes, is that waking up in the morning somehow miraculously provides more hours to your day than you would have had, had you got up at your usual time. There is a brilliant meme I saw somewhere about that once. It compared a day to a piece of string and explained that cutting a piece of string from one end and tying it to the other end would never make the piece of string any longer... but I just wasted too much life trying to find it, and couldn't, so you will have to take my word for it that it summed up nicely that getting up early, to get more done, is muggle talk. Anyway, us clever peeps all know that the real magic happens after twilight.

However, giving yourself a daily treat for getting your 500 words completed, I am totally down with. If I had any treats in the house that is. Humph!

Distractions

Today's task also assumes that the writer, in this case, me, can avoid the distractions of the day by getting up earlier. My current daily tasks involve mostly the post university job hunt. It can't be avoided or put off because I need to find some means to pay my rent and eat, two months ago (donations gratefully received - joking not joking, I'm fed up of living on frozen veg). So, getting up extra early to write would mean that my writing would be done first, leaving me the banal grind of application forms to look forward to. The antithesis of inspiration. 

Whereas, I much prefer to do it the other way around. Job hunting is pretty dreadful and soul destroying and doing it my way around, I have an incentive to get the tiresome stuff out of the way first. Then I can make time at the end of the day when I can relax, be creative and write, once all of the muggle work is out of the way. Having to face that drag, after a writing high, would put a total downer on the entire day otherwise.

And there we have it, approximately 570 words of truculence against social jetlag. Everything crossed that tomorrow's task will be something creative and will involve writing, not talking about writing. I'm getting bored of talk now.

571 Words

Comments

Popular Posts